Do we dare say the words?
“Live Facebook video…” [Insert Halloween-inspired scream here.]
Broadcasting yourself to a large, public audience can give even the bravest person a case of the willies.
But the fact is live video is here, and it’s not going anywhere.
According to ClickZ.com, one of the largest digital marketing communities in the world, 95 percent of marketers say live video will be an important part of their marketing plans in 2018. And what’s more, video itself will account for 80 percent of global internet traffic by 2020.
When it came time to test it out for ourselves here at CorComm Creative, we were nervous too. We opted to give our Facebook fans a peek into our office here in Danville, Ind. And while there are things I’ve learned since then that would have led me to doing some things differently, it was a great learning experience that ultimately ended up generating 557 unpaid video views (meaning we didn’t pay a dime for it).
What are the benefits of live video?
Maybe you’re wondering, ‘Why bother?’ Here are some of the great benefits of doing live video:
- It’s an authentic, relatable way to interact with your audience in real time.
- Moving videos are harder to ignore in News Feeds.
- Your video will be published to your page afterward, meaning your views and interactions will continue to increase even after your live video is done.
- You can easily share the completed video by embedding it on other sites — such as a website or blog.
How does it work?
Here are step-by-step instructions for how to start a live video from an iPhone, although live videos can also be completed through desktop computers (an excellent option for doing videos of more stationary situations, like conferences or panel discussions). Live videos can be up to 90 minutes long.
- Find your status bar where you normally start a post and look for the “Live Video” button with a video camera icon.
If the live video is for your own personal page, you can access the “Live Video” button from your News Feed, as shown in this screenshot below.
If you want to do the live video from a specific business page, you’ll need to go to that business page’s profile and open the status bar by tapping on the area that says, “Write something.” Once it opens, you'll be able to tap on "Live Video."
- Write an attention-grabbing description that will generate interest among your audience. Add a location and be sure to tag any partner organizations who are involved in your video.
- If you want to add a little whimsy to your video, you can tap on the star-shaped wand icon, located to the left of the “Start Live Video” button (see screenshot below). As you tap through the various icons, you can add various theme backgrounds, masks, pop-up phrases, frames. The tools button will allow you to adjust your brightness and camera angle.
- Use the camera icon with the arrows to select what viewpoint you want your camera to use. For example, do you want the camera on yourself or facing away from you to show what’s going on around you?
- When you’re ready, tap the “Start Live Video” button.
- Once started, your video will appear in the News Feeds of your fans, so they can comment, like or share. People who have interacted with your posts recently will receive a notification that you’ve gone live.
- End your broadcast by tapping on the “Stop” button.
Congratulations! You’ve done your first live video!